Wednesday 1 July 2009

The Best Job in the World

I woke up to find I don't have the best job in the world and in fact it was a lucky 30 somenthing from Petersfield that was lucky enough to have that title. In the news today it was anoounced that this is the first day for the man who beat around 35,000 applicants to land his dream job. I remeber reading about it a few months back and thinking it was a joke but apparently not.

For the next six months Ben Southall will be "exploring the islands of the Great Barrier Reef, swimming, snorkeling, making friends with the locals and generally enjoying the tropical Queensland climate and lifestyle" according to the job description - jealous, yes me too. It sounds like heaven but I suppose it wouldn't be everyones ideal job, actaully I'm not sure.

I wonder if he has KPI's about the number of people he has to befriend each day or if he has to go swimming and snorkelling at certain times of the day? Now that would be a bit of a pain, but I think the salary reported to be around £70,000 would soften the blow.

Ben isn't the only winner here, Tourism Queensland reportedly came up with this 'caretaker' job vacancy to promote the area worldwide and it's certainly worked, the publicity generated from their clever viral marketing campaign has spread and will continue to spread as the new 'caretaker' will be blogging and giving video updates reguarly. I may have a nosey.

No comments:

Post a Comment